How To Clean Roller Shutters?
Roller Shutters Maintenance:
- If you leave your roller shutters open it is important that you at least cycle your roller shutters once a week to keep the weather strip in the shutter guides flexible
- If you leave your roller shutters closed it is important that you at least cycle your roller shutters every 2 weeks to keep the weather strip in the shutter guides flexible
- Do not cycle your shutters more than 3 times in a row (continuously) as this will hit the thermal protection overload in the motor and cut out rendering the shutter non operational until the temperature of the motor cools down generally this will be around 15-20 min depending on ambient temperature hitting the thermal overload on the motors reduces the lifespan of the motors
- If you find that your roller shutter stops working wait 15-20 minutes and it should start working again this generally happens when you have cycled the motor continuously for more than 3 cycles
- If you have awning windows, casement windows, hopper windows or french doors please make sure that they are closed before lowering the shutters failing to do so will result the roller shutter landing on the open window or door of which the motor will continue to drive the shutter down and unroll in the pelmet causing a myriad of different problems it is important not to use your shutter after this has occurred so as not to cause more damage than has already occurred please call our office for assistance
- Cleaning your roller shutters should be done at least every 6 months in metro suburb areas every 4 months rural areas every 2 months in coastal areas use a mild detergent (car wash) mixed with warm water in a bucket use a interior broom with soft bristles first pre rinse the shutter with water then clean the shutter with the soapy broom whilst fully closed rinse then partially open the shutter for all the ventilation holes are open then proceed to clean the shutter with the broom where the ventilation holes and rinse
- If you live in an area where there are lots trees and shrubs check periodically for twigs and leaves that might lodge into the shutter guides and remove and clean
- Battery Backup UPS shutters if you have shutters that is using a battery backup every 6 months turn the power off from the circuit breaker to check that the battery backup is still working and also to wake up the battery in the battery back up this helps extend the life of the battery if you have experienced a power surge electrical storm or black out you will need to reboot your battery backup (if your shutters are not working)
- When the 240v power goes out, if you have to operate your shutters on battery backup UPS power, please only operate one shutter at a time individually. Do not operate any group functions.
- Rocker type switches when activating the switch to operate the roller shutter be sure to use a firm positive action when pressing the switch either to go down up or stop the same as you would for a regular light switch or a power point switch if you do not use a firm positive action the switch might not engage properly and the roller shutter won’t work and sometimes might cause it to electrically arc
- Warning do not use any lubricants on any part of the shutter system our shutter system has been designed as a low maintenance system and if lubricated will surely cause your shutters to fail
Not following this maintenance schedule will severely reduce the lifespan and durability of your new shutters)